Thursday, June 30, 2016

Handmade Polymer Clay Brooches

Handmade Polymer Clay Brooches 

I create brooches for my Etsy store. They are Disney inspired and great for DisneyBounds and work outfits alike. I love them, and put my heart and soul into their creation and design. In this video, I film the step to creating these brooches. 



Many of my brooches are created on circles, however, lately, I have been creating more intricate shapes. To ensure the correct shape of the character I will be creating, I like to use tracing paper to help create the perfect shape for my pin. Keep in mind, with this process, the images I create will be flipped. 

Next, I hand draw in the details, all with pencil. Then, I transfer the design into a sketchbook. 

I use ink to lock down the design. 

Next, I use white polymer clay and roll out an even sheet, around 1/3 inch thick. I try to make sure the surface of the clay is as even and smooth as possible. 

Then, I lay the clay down on the image that I have gone over with in pencil. The pencil transfers to the clay.

I use an Exacto knife to cut out the clay. 

After I am happy with the shapes I've created, I put them in the oven at 275 degrees for 30-35 minutes. I let them cool, and then get to painting. 

I use acrylic paints, and outline with black sharpie first, and then with black acrylic. 

After the paint dries, I complete the pin with water based wood varnish for protection and shine. I make sure to catch any drips to prevent streaks and discoloration of the pin. 

Lastly, I attach a pin to the back with some strong clear E500 glue, and 

Voilà, the pin is complete! Next, I like to match them with my latest disney bound and flaunt them around the parks! If you are interested, please go to my Etsy page to peruse my designs. 


Xo, Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment