Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Double Disney Weekends (Part 2)


Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Hey Friends!

I am not a runner, I will never consider myself to be a runner, but I am a former athlete, and because I am no longer participating in team sports, I need some inspiration to try to stay in shape and RunDisney races do the trick. I have had many injuries to my feet and ankles from ice hockey, lacrosse, and downhill skiing,  and it's safe to say that every time I run, it's a painful challenge. I'm sure many will ask me why I run if it causes me so much pain, but there is just no better feeling than crossing the finish line and finishing a challenge that you, yourself set, and accomplished. I am not fast, I will never be first, but I WON for me. 

This year I participated in the 5th Annual Tinker Bell 10k at Disneyland. This was my first RunDisney 10k. I was so surprised that I snagged a spot back in August. The 10ks are the hardest to register for, in my opinion. They always fill up so fast. Being an Annual Passholder helps a bit since we get first dips with early registration, but still with that, I haven't been able to snag a spot for any other RunDisney 10k (If you're interest in registering for any RunDisney event, be attentive about when registration starts. Races often sell out in minutes).   


I have completed 3 half-marathons to date, and I thought that perhaps I'd start the year with  a 10k to help me to prepare for the half-marathon that I have scheduled for September. 


Race morning, my dad and I woke up around 3:30, I applied my fairy glitter hair spray, winged liner, and red lipstick in the dark (yes, I do apply lipstick before races, they take pictures...DUH!), and I was pixie ready. We were staying at a hotel close by and it was about a 10 minute walk to the stating gate. It was chilly, and pouring rain. Let's be a little honest here, I was about to take the elevator back up to my room and climb back in bed. I was not very stoked about the rain. My hands were cold, my muscles felt sore already and I was so nervous that I'd slip and hurt myself. The rain subsided, and the gun went off, and I ran the entire first mile. (Usually, in my training, I run for 5 minutes and walk for 2). It felt like a breeze, and my confidence grew from there. 


Ready with Dad 
Throughout the race I chatted with some strangers about our costumes (which is my favorite part of Disney races) and I took lots of pictures with landmarks (the character lines were just too long), and Snapchat-ed the whole way.

We started the race together, and we ended the race together. Forever stranger friends






Being used to the half-marathon course, I wasn't really expecting the course to be almost entirely on Disneyland property. This made the course feel so much shorter than I thought it would feel. And, my favorite part was getting to run through Downtown Disney. The only things I did miss was that the course didn't take you down Main Street :( , and the line to meet Tinker Bell was WAY TOO LONG! (I guess I'll have to catch her a Pixie Hallow). 




Overall, I felt tired, and frustrated with my ankle pain, but crossing the finish line (and not being even near last place) was so rewarding. I felt strong and excited for finishing. It was definitely a confidence booster.

Out of all the races I've run, when I'm waiting for the run to start, I find myself full of doubt and pressure. It's hard for me to look past all of my body issues, self-confidence and pain from injury. As an individual I feel so powerful and brave to do the unthinkable. It makes me feel like I can get rid of my inner-bully.


Xo, Jess

P.S. Two years ago, I wrote a post about my love for RunDisney races (You can read that post here).



Follow me on my social media to get my daily updates:
Snapchat jessbehappee
Instagram: jessbehappee
Twitter: @jesseehappee

I also have an Etsy store where I sell handmade Disney inspired pins. Check them out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment